Monday, February 13, 2012

The Smith Pack

I'm preparing for a Smith Family Reunion in California this week, a small one with my mother, father, three brothers, two sisters-in-law, and two dogs. Having taken a two-day Book Arts workshop with Rebecca Goodale at Haystack Mountain School of Craft last month, I decided to practice my new skills. Here are four accordian books I've made of the Smith family dogs that have graced our lives over the last 50 plus years. 



"The Smith Pack"


Four Accordian Books


Tracy, Lucky, Charlie, Roger, Tess, Eli,
Merlin, Kiva, Kinsey, Tanner, Logan, and Riley

My brothers -- Brian, Evan, and Cary -- and I grew up with three dogs. The first was Tracy, a fabulous black Labrador, who taught us all to love dogs. Next came Lucky, a little mixed-breed spaniel, who I found as a stray puppy and brought home "for just one night, Mom, please!" Ha! She lived a long life under our roof. Finally, Charlie, a golden retriever, rounded out the love fest. The rest of the pack are dogs my brothers and I have loved as adults. Only my Kinsey and Evan's Logan and Riley remain, but I don't think they'll be the last of the Smith pack.   


The Smith Kids with Tracy
Brian, Evan, Cary, and Leslie

Cary, Evan, Grandpa, Lucky, Brian, Grandma, Leslie, Charlie, and Mom 

No comments: