Saturday, February 25, 2012

Nautica

Nautica
Labrador Retriever
colored pen-and-ink drawing
10" X 8"
2012

I finished Nautica's portrait just before I flew to California. It was a fun challenge! Here's the request I got from Judy, Nautica's grandperson: "Nautica was the sweetest chocolate Lab you could ever imagine. She absolutely loved the water -- especially Lake Tahoe, where they live. Can you possibly do the picture and add some water near her?"


 Judy didn't have any photographs of Nautica in or near water, so this was what I had to work with. I didn't know how I would add the water until I finished drawing Nautica. Then something gave me the idea of a window looking out at Lake Tahoe.

Fanette Island
Emerald Bay
Lake Tahoe, California

I like to think that Nautica is looking down from doggy heaven at her favorite spot on earth.

No comments: