Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Haflinger Horses, Fjord Ponies, and Organic Farms

Bill's Haflinger
8" X 10" woodcut
2009

Wew! Finally back to wood carving, print making, and blogging. I really got blogged out there for a while. Couldn't write or read a one. I think all my face-to-face time at the farmer's market filled up my quota for personal interactions.

Anyways, this handsome horse is Gus, one of a team of Haflingers from Darthia Farm in Gouldsboro, Maine. Bill and Cynthia Thayer own and run this organic farm, and they do a slew of other creative things as well--theater, music, fiber arts, fiction. Cynthia writes novels (Strong for Potatoes, A Certain Slant of Light, and A Brief Lunacy) in her spare time. I'm taking a fiction-writing workshop from her every Saturday this June.

I also had a drawing on the cover of this summer's Brooksville Breeze, our town newsletter. It shows David's Folly, another organic farm, this one right here in my town.

I've started a pencil sketch of the Norwegian Fjord ponies at Darthia Farm and I'm eager to start inking them in.




3 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

hi leslie!
oh i love your new carving and your workshop sounds fun!
what a great start to summer!

ClassyChassy said...

Hi - it's my first visit - love your critter drawings!

Linda O'Neill said...

Congrats on the cover drawing!...and your woodblock is gorgeous. So are those ponies!