Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Senatorial Pooches

Sunny & Splash
Portuguese Water Dogs
8" X 10" pen and ink
2008

Pardon me for dropping a few names, but my last commissioned portrait of the year 2008 went to Senator Edward Kennedy and his wife, Vicki. Sunny and Splash are familiar faces around the Capitol, because they go to work with the Senator. In fact, Splash has written a book about his job as a Senatorial Pooch -- My Senator and Me: A Dog's Eye View of Washington, D.C. -- with a little help from the Senator, of course.


An anonymous source tells me that Sunny is a free spirited girl -- high-maintenance, head-strong, and independent, while Splash is "the love of the Senator's life." They look like they're sharing a good joke in this portrait--Sunny smiling so coyly and Splash laughing out loud!

I hope my next commission will be of the new First Puppy!


2 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

hi leslie!
oh my gosh! how exciting!
congratulations!
xo
melissa

Linda O'Neill said...

Wow, kudos on that commission! I'm sure that Senator Ted was thrilled with it.

By the way, Leslie...I'm loving my PenPets calendar. It's up on the wall behind my desk. Send one of those to Mr. Obama and you probably WILL get a commission to paint the First Dog!