Friday, July 25, 2008

Woodcuts and Summer Guests

Incentive Package
12" X 13" woodcut
2008

Although my blog has been quite quiet these last two weeks, I haven't been idle. I've been busy carving ever bigger woodblocks. This donkey is a native of Sirince, Turkey, a tiny farming village in the hills above Ephesus. I'm going to submit him and Kate, the Border Collie, to the Common Ground Fair poster contest. You can read all about the fair on the Maine Farmers and Growers Association website.

I carved my donkey and his dangling carrot during the week my niece Bella was visiting from New Hampshire. Bella, almost 9 years old, keenly observed each step of the process. May be another woodblock artist in the making! She and I also read a book aloud together -- The Higher Power of Lucky, by Susan Patron (a great story!) -- and I helped outfit Bella for the Friday Fashion Show at Nichols Day Camp when she bemoaned the fact that she didn't have a THING to wear! Note the Italian "designer" dress with the maritime motif, the frog earrings, the Korean silk scarf, and beaded bracelets from French West Africa. The purple Crocs are hers! Such a fashionista!



Stay tuned for another woodcut that I'll post as soon as it's been gifted.

2 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

Hi Leslie!
I love your woodcuts! We are going to miss you next week while I am away, but I will have lots of pictures from art camp when I get back and Emmitt's Birthday is August 1st and we are having a party on our blog.
Please come!
xo
m & e

Tonia said...

Hi Leslie,

A wonderful donkey and a lovely girl. Thank you for all the time that you spent with my children. They really loved it and I did too. I hope you are both happy about selling the boat.

All my love tonia