Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winter Kill

Dead Nuthatch
5" X 7" pen & ink
2009

No weak winter sun,
slinking toward the horizon,
will warm this nuthatch,
one frozen wing unfurled,
spectacled against the snow.

It's winter in Maine and the temperatures are plummeting. It could be 10 below here by tomorrow. I found this poor Red-breasted Nuthatch under the bird feeders and decided that he deserved a portrait and a poem, another Tanka, of course.

I thought I'd lighten up my grim subject matter with a new background this year. I also plan to redesign my website and open a PenPets Etsy shop. Just wish I had a high-speed connection to the internet! This may take time.

Stay warm!

4 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

oh leslie ~ what a beautiful tribute.
xo
m & e

Archie and Melissa said...

good morning leslie

i blogged about you today. :)

http://pugnotes.blogspot.com/2009/01/super-talented-friends.html

:)melissa

Nancy at the Farm said...

We blogged about you today so your ears should be burning! And we borrowed a couple of pictures for our blog so folks could see your work!

Love, Dozer, Dottie and Cooper

JudyMackeyart said...

Leslie,
So glad to meet you! Your drawings are fantastic. This one of the little bird is a little sad but the artwork is beautiful.
Have a wonderful day/evening.