Sunday, January 25, 2009

First Woodcut of 2009


Shoat
6" X 8" woodcut
2009

Everyone seems to like pigs, so I've started my woodcarving year with this cheerful face. My carving skills have gotten rusty! It takes a while to wrap my pen-and-ink mind around woodblock carving. Instead of penning in the dark places, I'm carving them out. I will persevere!


I actually have quite a few little pigs in my piggery--both woodcuts and pen-and-ink drawings. Here's the whole cast of characters:

Harley Davidson

5" X 7" pen and ink

2008




Arnold Schwarzenegger
10" X 13" woodcut
2008

Porker

4" X 4" woodcut

2008



What's for Supper?
7" X 5" pen and ink
2007



Puddle Piglets

5" X 7" pen and ink

2007

6 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

oh my gosh leslie!
i love your new woodcut and your parade of piggies is just amazing. you are so talented!
xo
melissa

Annie B said...

A great start to the new year! Nice expressive carving. I find that really difficult myself.

ocmist said...

I love your "piggies." You are so talented!

I've thought about trying wood cutting, but haven't done any yet. I think I need to keep on working on my pastels and graphite drawings until I get better.

Have a good day! Linda (OC's Mom)

Nancy at the Farm said...

We love your pigs! You could use my sister, Dottie, as a model, she looks just like a porker! BOL!

Love, Dozer

ocmist said...

Shame on you Dozer!!! I think your Dottie is pretty!!! Everyone around here thinks our Dott is too, but she's my sister, so (Raspberry here...)

BG

http://countrycorgis.blogspot.com/

Totally Timmy said...

I love pigs and have done a bit of pen and ink in the past. Your art is so thoughtful, I love how you capture the expressions on the faces. I'm glad I found this blog and look forward to seeing more of your art!