Friday, May 2, 2008

Block Printing

Tomorrow I go to Haystack Mountain School of Crafts on Deer Isle for an Island Workshop Day. I'll be in Siri Beckman's Block Printing Workshop.
I haven't made a block print since 1974 in Perugia, Italy, at the Accademia di Belle Arti Pietro Vannuci. I was 18 years old, half-way through college, and studying Italian, Life Drawing, and Graphic Arts for six weeks. This is what I carved out of my woodblock. I think it's a self-portrait. Yikes!

"Italian Self-Portrait"
Summer 1974

Tomorrow I'll steer clear of my own face 34 years later in favor of this sweet young thing.

"Kinsey at Eight Weeks Old"


Kinsey is my muse, subject of many drawings and photographs. She likes nothing better than to preen and pose in front of a camera, although she's not fond of the long hours I subsequently spend drawing her. I hope to add a beautiful block print to my collection of Kinsey art soon!

No comments: